Oktoberfest camper information
What to bring:
- A USB flash drive for copying dance directions, if offered.
- A pillow, twin-sized bedding or a sleeping bag, and towels.
- A flashlight, with new batteries, for getting around Hulbert after dark.
- Rain gear and cold-weather clothes.
- Sturdy shoes or boots (if you plan to take a walk or to hike in the woods).
- Comfortable clothes for dancing.
- Dance shoes – Please change from outdoor shoes to clean, soft-soled shoes for dancing to help preserve the dance floor and cut down on the need for sweeping.
- Ethnic costumes and accessories (if you have any) for the Saturday evening dance party.
- Musical instruments (if you play any) for the instrumental workshop.
- Toiletries and medications that you may need.
- Special foods that you may need (refrigerator space is available for camper use in the Main House kitchen).
- Additional items that you might find useful – an alarm clock, ear plugs, and clothes hangers.
- Sports equipment – Hulbert has a number of sports facilities, including outdoor tennis courts, outdoor basketball courts, and a playing field for soccer. You are welcome to bring appropriate equipment for using these facilities.
Good things to know:
- Travel information to Hulbert Outdoor Center is available on the Directions page.
- When you arrive, come into the Main House by the left-hand door on the front porch to check in. Arrive any time after 4 pm on Friday.
- Some participants like to bring wine to share at dinners and at the wine and cheese social on Sunday afternoon.
- The teachers will have CDs, DVDs, and/or books for sale.
- Dance and song review sessions on Monday begin at 9 am, followed by lunch from noon till 12:45 pm. Plan to vacate your room before 10 am (when the housekeeping crew arrives), and to depart from camp by 1 pm.
- The emergency phone numbers for Hulbert Outdoor Center are: 802-333-3431 to leave a message, 802-333-3405 to page a member of the staff who can then contact us. There is a phone where you can use a Calling Card for outgoing calls.
Some Hulbert Outdoor Center rules:
- No pets.
- Rooms cannot be locked. Please leave your valuables at home or lock them in your car.
- No smoking in any camp buildings. If you smoke outside, please use “butt cans” and be sensitive to possible dry conditions.
- No illegal substances.
- Vermont state law prohibits drinking alcoholic beverages for those under age 21.
- No open fires except in the fireplaces.
- After the nightly dance parties are over at 11 pm, please respect people’s need for quiet time to sleep.
- Participants who bring children are responsible for their children at all times.
- The camp is near a lake, a main road, and the woods. Do not let children wander away without an appropriate escort.